Endorsements

"Candid, amusing & blunt everyday stuff. Love!" @

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Flavored Water

Some call it detox water, I call it flavored.

Whatever you call it, the flavor is great and fresh!

Here is the recipe I found....

3 quarts or 12 cups of water
2 lemons, sliced
1/2 cucumber, sliced
10 mint leaves
Rinse everything really well. Slice lemons and cucumber. Add lemons, cucumber, and mint to pitcher. Cover with 3 quarts of water and refrigerate over night.
Okay, so I tried it.  I have to say YUM!  The flavor is great and there is a sweet/sour base to it.  
The cucumber flavor is subtle.  You can taste it in the background but it's not overpowering.  You can taste the lemon more than anything so next time I will cut the lemon back a little.  I can't taste the mint so I'm wondering if I need to muddle it first.  Just a thought. 
So you are asking yourself, "Why put all those things together?"  Well, I'll tell you why :)
Lemon
1. A great source of vitamin c
2. Balances pH levels
3. Improves digestion
4. Aides weight loss
`Did you know that if your body is out of balance it is incredibly difficult to lose weight? Having a happy, healthy body and mind is one of the fastest ways to weight loss. A more alkaline diet makes for a happier person, and according to Eating Well Magazine, people with more alkaline diets tend to lose weight faster. Also, lemons contain pectin fiber, which helps set your body back to normal hunger levels. On board yet? If not, don't worry there are two more genius benefits coming your way. (My source)
Cucumber
1. Keeps body hydrated as it is 96% water
2. A good source of dietary fibers and vitamins
3. The high water content and dietary fibers are aide in clearing toxins from the digestive system.
4. Diuretic... 96% water anyone :)
5. Contains a hormone that is used in the pancreas to produce insulin
Mint
1. Relieves GI issues
2. High in antioxidants
3. Improves the movement of bile from the liver
4. Also aides in the relaxation of sore muscles
As a note of warning: 1. If you don't like pulpy orange juice, I would juice the lemon instead of let it just hang out in the pitcher.
2. Strain and drain!  I'm using an iced tea pitcher with a tap.  Things are getting stuck in there so it's not draining into the cup well.
3. The acidity of the lemon can break down the enamel of your teeth.  Alternate this "detox" water with tap water.  Also, don't "nurse" the "detox" water, the acid will stay on your teeth longer. 
I hope you enjoy this recipe.  I have been enjoying it today and I've been drinking more water because of it. 
I'm planning on trying others next week and will blog about them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment