Endorsements

"Candid, amusing & blunt everyday stuff. Love!" @

Thursday, July 2, 2015

The Gastric Sleeve Journey

So the scary part is the surgery and recovery.

With the particular clinic I am using, they require a free seminar.  Basically, you get the information about the different surgeries and ask questions.  It was informative but still was a little overwhelming.

After filling out the information, the doctors review your information and determine whether you are a candidate or not.  Then you wait for the call.

I got the call a few days later to set up an appt.  The problem that I have is that my insurance SUCKS!  So I had to come up with the money... thanks to my family, I was able to get a loan.

My process has been fast.  From the seminar to surgery was June 15 to July 20.

Today I attended a required education class.  I read the binder before going so it really didn't tell me anything new.

I have to have an endoscopy and lab work next week (not 100% on the endoscopy reason).

I also have to have a consult with a psychologist.  I'm crazy but I hope that doesn't come thru in the eval.  :)

Two weeks before the surgery you have to go on an all liquid diet to shrink your liver.  It's high protein and sugar free.  I start this on July 6.  It's going to be a long bitchy 2 weeks.

On surgery day, they will only have me in the OR for about 30 minutes with about an hour in recovery.  I have to spend the night in the hospital but my mommy will be there with me!  Typically, you go home the next day if there are no complications.

For the first 2 days home, I am only allowed water.  Hydration is a huge issue.

Then for the next 2 1/2 weeks pureed food only.

The purpose for this is to not get chunks of food stuck in the staples in the stomach and cause infection.

They said that I will pretty much be in bed the first few days but am required to get up and walk around the house 3-5 times.  To me that reads, "shower and pee".

After the first week I will go back and get my staples removed and have a follow-up.  I'm pretty okay with that.  If I am off my narcotic pain meds I can drive.

I will be able to go back to work at the beginning of August.  I just can't lift anything over 15 pounds for the first month or more.

My friend said that after 3 weeks he was walking around an amusement park... no thanks, I'll do other stuff instead.

I will go back for a 2 month, 6 month, 1 year, 2 year, 3 year etc. follow-up.  Not too bad if I do say so myself.

With everyone's support and knowledge of the steps, I know I can do this and will have a great outcome!

I'll try and post as this goes on, I think it's important to talk about the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment