Endorsements

"Candid, amusing & blunt everyday stuff. Love!" @

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Body image

Christa Dubill posted a picture today of this...

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_news/water_cooler/baby-bikini-onesie-raises-eyebrows

I have shared the story of my grandmother putting me on a diet when I was about 10 years old.  If you haven't read it yet, take a peek somewhere in January.

I have had body image issues for the majority of my life.  I look at pictures of myself and hate the way I look.  I don't think I've ever had a picture of myself that I like. If I'm alone in the picture I'm okay with it but if there are others, I compare myself to them.

I don't know if I've said this in my blog yet but I'll say it anyway...

When I was young, I had very blond hair and one of my favorite movies was Splash!  My grandmother used to tell me that she hoped I would grow up to look like Daryl Hannah, you know, tall, blond and thin. I have compared myself to her most of my life.  I hate looking in the mirror because all I see is someone that will never be Daryl Hannah.

So tonight, I've done some research.

Unfortunately, many parents and family members contribute to the body image issues of many children.  It could be something as simple as telling a child that the girl in the dress on TV looks fat.  After hearing comments like this over and over again, children will begin believing that unless they are thin, they are not beautiful.

As an educator, I see and hear things that really bother me.  The school I teach in is a uniform school.  A few times during the year the kiddos don't have to wear their uniforms (school pictures etc.).  Two years ago, one parent dressed her two young girls (kindergarten and 1st grade) in a completely inappropriate dress. The girls were wearing booty shorts, spaghetti strap tops, and those annoying knee high Converse shoes that look like high heels.

When it comes to young children, it is up to the parents to make appropriate decisions.  Many parents think it's cute to dress their kids that way.  It is not cute, it is giving your children a complex.  You are telling your children that it is okay to dress like that, then other kids will make fun of them.  It is a vicious cycle.

This is a very sensitive subject for me.  I could go on and on about this but I won't.

I guess it boils down to this, you have to be careful what you say in front of kids, what you say to kids, and learn what is appropriate.  I guess common sense isn't so common.

Body image starts at such a young age, please think before you speak or dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment