Endorsements

"Candid, amusing & blunt everyday stuff. Love!" @

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Homemade laundry detergent

3 Cups Borax
3 Cups Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 Bar Whole Foods Brand Lavender Bar Soap
1 21 Cup Cereal  Saver

Measure out the Borax and Super Washing Soda into the Cereal saver, replace lid and shake well.  I like using the bigger ones for the mixing process. Take a potato peeler and shave the bar soap into a large bowl. After all the soap has been shaved, break up the soap.  You can use a cheese grater but I just didn't want to fight it.  Pour the soap into the cereal saver, replace lid and shake well. 

For a large load of clothes you only need 2 tablespoons of detergent.  If it is a heavily soiled load, add 2 more tablespoons.  It does not create suds so don't panic!  My whites are whiter and my clothes have a light scent. 

You could probably substitute any smell bar soap or no smell if that's what you want.  You could also use Zote or any of the laundry bar soap in the laundry aisle.  A lot of the recipes I saw suggested using Ivory but with my sensitivity and the bumps on my arms, I wanted to know exactly what was going into it.  The bar soap at Whole Foods is all natural so that is why I picked it.  I've only washed 2 loads of clothes but I'm already loving the soap! 

Comment below if you a) already make your own, b) try it, or c) have any other suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment