Endorsements

"Candid, amusing & blunt everyday stuff. Love!" @

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

February 15th, THANK YOU!!!!


Here is the link to last night’s story… enjoy!

So my aunt Patsy in N.C. posted something on Facebook yesterday about going on Biggest Loser.  She said, “OK so I want to go on the biggest looser. Have no doubt I could loose weight but no Way I could show you all myself in a halter top..” 

This got me thinking… (uh oh, can’t be good)

If I’m exposing myself emotionally, why not show you what my body looks like?  So I slapped on a sports bra and shorts and… (remember, this is how the Biggest Loser people dress for weigh ins)



Hey you!  Roll of Fat!  Get off my body!

Until I saw it in picture format, I didn't think it was that bad.  WOW!


Now, I have lost 6 pounds to date.  Not a huge amount as of right now but it’s progress.  My bras are fitting differently.  This is my body!  Love me or hate me, it’s my body, it’s who I am!   Take it or leave it!

These are scary to post and I'm a little nervous to hit publish.  I know that you, my dear readers, stand by me with no judgment.  

So last night, the story talks about emotional issues I found this from an article in Psychology Today

Obesity and overweight can be conditions that are caused by early life trauma. Although I had known this for some time, I was amazed to discover recently all the well-documented research on the obesity-trauma connection. In one early study of 286 obese people, half had been sexually abused as children. In these cases, "...overeating and obesity weren't the central problems, but attempted solutions." For these people, therapy might be a prerequisite to healthy weight loss--it could help clients identify the feelings and situations behind emotional over-eating and replace it with healthier self-care patterns. (A much larger study of over 17,000 people provided further documentation of the links between "adverse childhood experiences;" unhealthy behaviors like smoking, drinking, and overeating; and mental, emotional, and even medical disorders later in life.)”

Something else that the article said was,

“So the first step towards permanent healthy weight loss is, somewhat ironically, to lose the diet and the diet mindset. Instead think about a Healthy Eating Plan (a HEP) that you could live with and enjoy for life. The best answer is to dieting, then, is: A lifelong program of everyday healthy, pleasurable eating coupled with regular exercise. To lose weight, eat less and exercise more. How boring! How prosaic! Yet how true.”

I’ve been saying this all along, I’m changing the way I’m eating, not dieting.  I’m changing my mindset and becoming a healthy eat and a healthy person.  I’m making a lifestyle change, not a diet.  

You know the rolls of fat connecting my thighs and stomach really bother me.  Many times I have stood in front of the mirror and pulled on my body to make myself "skinnier".  Admit it!  You have too!  There is nothing wrong with it.  Just don't obsess over it.  You have a draw a line at some point. Be mindful that it's not an obsession.

Thought of the day:
Being raw and exposing your inner most demons means letting go and becoming free to be who you are on the inside.  

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You go girl! I cannot even post a fully clothed photo of myself at my heaviest. It is awesome that you are confident enough to post your photos.

    I have always know that any kind of weight loss wouldn't work for me if I had to give up anything. I'm too much for enjoying life and don't feel like I should have to sacrifice the things I love to be healthy. I have found through my own process that I do so much better if I have the things I really want, but do them in healthier ways (whole wheat carbs instead of the basic, empty starchy ones) or just have much smaller portions of the others. It really is about learning to view what we eat and do differently.

    ReplyDelete